Friday, March 4, 2011

Islam, the next communism? Why?



9/11 found me on the phone frantically truing to find Jeanette only to find that she was in California. I spent the better part of the next 48 hours on the phone working with state, and federal agencies to come up with a multitude of plans to limit the anti-muslim violence that Many believed would sweep the country. Thanks to the actions of many on all sides, and me just a bit , that wave swept over us with far fewer casualties than had been expected. Most not surprisingly non-Muslim. While our many hate groups and radical Christians seem to have an unlimited ability to hate, they seem to have an very limited ability to properly identify targets. Many of those attacked were Hispanic, Sephardic Jews, Sihks and even a few Asians. Were it not for the sheer tragedy of the matter the ineptitude would be laughable. Then of course we went to war, and the door closed to folks like myself who actually gave a damn about things like truth and co-operation. Granted I wasn't horribly concerned at the time, her not so close brush with death, finally convinced her to give me a whirl and well the rest as they say is history. Within months that canary yellow letter came in the mail asking me to go play in the big sandbox. It was our first big fight. The contract that came with that letter was signed, the bombing of the city where she spends most of her time hit a chord of bitter hatred in me that I didn't truly know I possessed . Killing was on my mind and I knew the work. In the end though that contract never got sent in. I stayed here while friends went off to fight and die and for a while my anger kept me from seeing what a horrible over reaction the whole mess was. I guess like most, I thought it would be another Desert shield, well, that passed, the years passed I built a business, kept up with my other responsibilities though the calls became fewer and fewer. The phone did not ring over the Mosque issue . Had I been paying better attention, I might have noticed the real change in our nations stance on the issue. I had my own issues. Oddly the only time the phone has rung since the fire was over Marcellus shale. Not over the environmental issues, but over double checking every resource to see if any rumbling of terrorist acts from the extreme right against the drilling had reached my ears. Priorities had changed, but so had I.
Still, the question remains, do we really hate the Muslims, or is this just the next smoke and mirrors? I must say I think it the latter. I am coming to believe that pretty much all of this has in the end simply been a machination , one in which I have despite myself played a small part.
For that I apologize.
Blessings,
David

No comments:

Post a Comment